Monday, June 3, 2019

The Upside to Baldness

Believe it or not, I have friends that want to know what the upside of being bald is, after having had long hair since forever.  I haven't been bald since I was a year old.  It's an odd experience for me and it's still weird not to be weighed down by it. 

With friends like these... anyway, here goes. 

1. It's cooler.  A bald head is a whole lot cooler than a full head of very thick hair.  That's not a bad thing given that I'm heat sensitive (still). 

2. After I finish vacuuming for the umpteen millionth time I should not have to worry about cleaning the roller on the vacuum for a long long time.  The windrows of hair up to 18" long are still turning up.  Think dust bunnies that are jack rabbit sized.  Where are they still coming from? 

3.  I dry off a lot faster after a shower.  It used to take 2 hours or more for my hair to dry.  Now even my body dries quicker, yes the hairlessness is everywhere. 

4.  I only need one towel to dry off - it used to take two towels, one for the hair and one for the rest!  Less laundry!  Woot! 

5.  I used to have to keep a hair brush in each suitcase and in my car in addition to one in the bathroom, or I'd end up having to buy a new one on half the trips I took.  Yes, it was a constant battle to keep that hair tamed.  And I usually lost. 

6. Think of all the money I'm saving on hair ties, shampoo, and the like.  A whole aisle at the store I don't have to go down or even consider.  The time savings are huge!

7. I can wash my "hair" with a wet wash cloth.  Another huge time savings! 

8.  The downside... I am in fear of sunburn. My scalp is shocking white.  Worse yet, I can't tease my brothers any more (at least about hair loss).  Mine isn't even male pattern baldness, I have about 200 strands of hair on my head.  At least it shows just how a comb-over looks.  Own it guys, I am!