Saturday, June 15, 2019

Round 5 - Ding!

I met with Dr 7 (chemo / infusion Dr), the usual upbeat experience.  Still no neuropathy or serious side effects, just a little ringing in my ears some evenings.  We're committed to this cycle of three treatments (2 to go) and then checking under the hood again. 
 
I also met with Dr 6 (surgeon), and she was disappointed with the results of the last scan as I was.  She and Dr 7 have been talking behind my back (her words, not mine!), and yes, it's good to have your infusion Dr and your surgeon in agreement.  They have discussed adding something to cut off the blood supply to the tumor if results don't improve next scan.  Optimistic words from Dr 6 that I could have still been on the flat end of the exponential response curve last scan, and maybe - just maybe - I'll see more improvement this time. Fingers crossed.  
 
Back to the hospital area again today for infusion (aka chemo).  Three days in a row to the hospital area. I'm getting tired of the commute. 

So I'm assigned my very first nurse again, the first time I get a repeat. You remember Melissa.  She so patiently explained all the drugs to me and so very quickly cut off the chemo drug drip when I started reacting to it on my first infusion.  She was able to get the IV in on the second stick.  Not perfect, but half as many as last time.  The pharmacy had sent IV Pepcid and not tablet so we had to wait for that and we had to wait for the chemo drugs.  Otherwise I could have been out by 4 pm again.  I was a little worried at one point that we were going so quickly the Benadryl wouldn't have enough time to work, but then we hit the first pause and I spent some time on a sodium chloride flush.  All in all smooth sailing.  Though Melissa was assigned to me I got to see most of my past nurses through the nearly 8 hours I was there.  

One thing I always do is check my blood test results.  My cancer blood marker is well down from the previous reading, more than 1/3 down from 6 weeks ago.  Of course my Drs appointments were all previous but I will take that result with cautious optimism and ask next time I see Dr 7. Otherwise not much change which is a good thing. 

I got my Breeding Bird Survey route data proofed, and one route eBirded.  It's tedious work but easy to pick up and put down.   It was really crowded in the infusion suite, hope that's not typical going forward.  Crowded is noisy, noisy interrupts my Benadryl and steroid induced naps.  Good news, the new TVs allow the use of headphones or ear buds but you have to bring your own. 
Stay tuned.