Saturday, February 1, 2020

Drug 3, Round 4... Done!

Well, it was an interesting week.  I had chemo on M/W/F after meeting with the Dr (8c) last week.

On Monday, the infusion center shifted to using the pharmacy at the main hospital while the one across the street is being expanded.  This resulted in a longer delay for meds for all the patients.  My appointment was for morning so I would have time to have a blood draw if needed.  It wasn't needed, but I kept the earlier time so I could get out earlier (ha!).

After 2 hours my chemo showed up, but the premeds hadn't.  There's a storage cabinet in every suite, so the chemo drug went into the cabinet on hold until the premed showed up.  I need the premed to keep from reacting to the chemo.  The nurse started the premed as soon as it showed up, and switched to saline to flush when it cleared the IV.  Then comes the excitement.

A big batch of drugs were brought from the pharmacy and the nurse came in with "my chemo" and hooked it up to the IV, using a different port on the multi-port line.  I was tired, but looked at it and said it wasn't right, it was much too large.  My regular chemo is 53 mls, this was a larger bag and FAT with liquid unlike mine.  The nurse went and read the name on the bag.  It wasn't me.  Good thing the drug hadn't started dripping yet.  She pulled my chemo out of the cabinet and got that started but oh my, it was so close to my getting the wrong (unknown) chemo.  Yikes.

Too much excitement.  

In contrast Wednesday and Friday were routine, which is a good thing.  The pharmacy was quicker, they trust I'm coming in and order the drugs early.  Same nurse, sharp on getting things hung up quickly and run promptly.  I was only there an hour and a half total on Friday, where Monday took over 4 hours.

Little side effects so far but not really expected.