Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Co-Insurance // Out of Pocket -- DONE!

The bills I got recently (see the last post) were due for payment today.  They were hospital bills for services in July - chemo and the port surgery.  I still don't have the reconciliation from the insurance company for these dates, though the hospital processed the insurance company's paperwork on August 13.  It's September 10. 

So I called Ambetter and immediately got an agent.  I should have realized that was an omen, no long wait time.  It turned out Ambetter was in the middle of a system update so after ten minutes or so the agent - wonderful patient Amir - was able to log me into the system.  And after even more patience with the computer system she was able to confirm that a) the hospitals reconciliations and bills matched what Ambetter sent out and b) with those bills I have met my Co-Insurance or Total Out of Pocket.  That means... no more copays at the Doctors offices, no more co-pays for chemo, and no more co pays PERIOD. 

I can't begin to tell you what that means, having the Out of Pocket done.  OK, so I put over $1000 on my account today, but that's the end of the medical bills for 2019.  Now I just have my living expenses (mortgage, board for the horses, food, insurance, car expenses, other pet expenses, electric, water, etc. etc. etc.) to pay each month.  What a relief! 

FINALLY. 

I see the chemo doctor on Thursday and have chemo on Friday.  I'm feeling pretty good, though I still tire quickly especially in high humidity.  The heat is not as bad (only 95F today).  I was able to walk over a mile last Saturday using a lot of benches as usual.  That was  on top of the 3/4 of a mile on Friday. 

Onwards.