Friday, February 19, 2021

Long time, no see - February 15-19, 2021

 Hi all,  it’s been a while.  This was my week for the medical test cycle, and also the week that an epic storm knocked Texas on its collective ass.  

Last weekend was cold with overnight lows of 31-36F.   Monday dawned barely with a low of 22F and some freezing rain.  I had finally relocated my CT from the main hospital area to the local area Friday evening, saving me 20 minutes drive each way.  My appointment was for 830 so if I wanted coffee I had to have before 430 am.  I woke up without an alarm at four am to a cold house and no power. Yikes.  I was hungry so I had a granola bar and some water and went back to bed.  I got up after not sleeping and fed the outside birds before calling in to the imaging center.  I was about to give up but they finally answered and said everything was fine with their power and the machine. So I downed the contrast and headed in for my 830 appointment.  

The imaging center was vacant three people including me before 9 am. I know because I sat there for 30 minutes before asking if everything was ok with the machine.   They admitted to having some issues and after checking on it took me back to scan.  It took three tries and two massive bruises before they got the IV started.  It was chilly in the scanning office and that was the first problem with the CT and the blood testing machine.  Both were too cold!  Finally both worked, and the scan took little time after the long lead up. I got home and fed the birds again.  

Tuesday and Wednesday were more of the same. No power. No heat. Feed the birds every couple hours. The stars were a bevy of Orange-crowned Warblers, a single Pine Warbler. Yellow-throated Warbler, Western Tanager (yard bird!), and a host of the usual suspects including Green Jay, Clay-colored Thrush, and two Plain Chachalacas.  

Inside the bigger issue was getting lights for my indoor birds so they would feed.  The house never went below 58F and the cockatiel and zebra finches were fine as far as temperature.  I was able to get some D cells from a friend and that helped a lot with supplementing the meager daylight with a lantern  

Wednesday night at 10 PM the power came on.  I walked to the kitchen, and walked back to the bathroom, turned the lights out, and the power went out again.  It came on again at 11 PM.  And stayed on.  Still, freezing rain so I stayed home and fed the outside birds.  

Thursday I went to do Wednesday’s work, checking out the sites instead of a full survey.  I had placed an order for groceries since I was running short on fruit and bark butter mixing (outside bird food). I had just gotten the groceries at noon when the Dr called for my 2 pm appointment.  Lol!  First time he’s been early.  Anyway, the good news is that the tumors showed minor shrinkage. Still, shrinkage beats growth.  I was expecting bad news as my energy levels have been low - and get lower every time I think about all the dead plants I have to remove.  Anyway, the lethargy could be a side effect of the COVID vaccine (X2) or gray winter weather,  we will see.  I am more cautiously hopeful.  

Good luck to all, one last freezing night tonight and then we warm up. Insectivores are likely taking a serious hit, Purple Martin,  Cave Swallow, Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and more.  

As far as I know my horses are fine.  I’m going to make a serious effort to see them more often.  I miss the horse hugs.