Thursday, August 8, 2019

Good news / bad news

So the first two chemo drugs (used together) gave me relief from some symptoms while bringing on some side effects. The following were helped:

1. Daily afternoon fever (the "FUO" or "Fever of Unknown Origin" diagnosis/description came from this symptom).

2. Recurring flu-like symptoms, I was sick for several days 1-2 times a month. 

3. Lower back pain - off and on severe back pain. 

The side effects I got on the first chemo cocktail:

1. Tinnitus - ringing in the ears - intermittent, mostly in the evenings, daily.

2. Tingling in the fingertips (and toes?) - just started after 6th (last) dose

3. Hair loss, nearly total alopecia.

4.  Chemo brain.  I lose more words, forget what I'm saying, and find focus harder. 

The new drug has different side effects.  I still have an acid stomach (lots of antacids an Pepcid).  I was tired again days 4-5 after treatment, and ran a slight fever.  But yesterday I walked a mile (under duress, lol) and today I don't feel any worse for wear.  Onwards.