Friday, May 3, 2019

That's More Like It

I had another positive appointment with Dr. #7 the day before chemo and had the pre-chemo blood testing.  Oddly, the lab didn't have the paperwork from the infusion office or from Dr #7 office for the blood draws, so I ran around getting that sorted out.  I still had time to do that and get the blood drawn before the Dr appointment.  All systems go.

The next day I got to the infusion department 15 minutes early at 8:15.  I'd been advised to get there at 8 because they start signing people in then, but traffic made me late.  I signed in at about number 6 and right at 8:30 was paying my copay and getting my bracelet (all drugs are keyed to the bracelet, I get scanned before each drug).  By 8:40 I was in the new windowless infusion suite and the IV was in and started by 8:45.  This is a record early start!  Instead of starting with a flushing weak NaCl Edith the nurse I was assigned today went straight to the pre-meds.  We're rocking and rolling! 

I sailed through the pre-meds and was starting the first chemo drug just after 11 AM.  This three hour plus drug eats up a lot of time.  The last chemo drug and flush got me out of there and scheduling my next appointment by 3 PM.  Two hours plus earlier than last time!  Woot!  Love the way Edith kept the drugs flowing.  No reaction, no problems at all.  Best thing, the TVs weren't working for most of us so the noise level was WAY down.  Too bad, they will likely have that fixed by next time. 

SH helped me drop off my car at 5 PM for needed service since I thought I would want to take it easy and work on the computer the day after chemo.  Turns out a Black-throated Blue Warbler was reported at Quinta Mazatlan in McAllen.

A blatant request for a ride on our valley RBA and HH picked me up (out of his way) and we spent the morning looking with no success.  We did have a Yellow-green Vireo singing and seen but not great looks (I always want better) and some interesting behavior with Northern Mockingbirds and Curve-billed Thrashers mobbing a brush pile - we figured there was a snake in there.  It was great to be out birding!  After lunch at Taco Express (you knew that) HH dropped me off and headed back to Quinta - it's just too hot for me.  I feel good if a little tired, and I'm ready to have my car back and running better! 

Chemo #3 is in the bag.  I feel good.